Post tagged with judgment
April 17th, 201302:48 PM ETOn the morning of April 15, 2013—Patriots’ Day—I stood near the finish line of the Boston Marathon and snapped this picture to send to my daughter. It shows the place the 27,000 marathon runners set their sights on, the goal of their years of training and discipline. In the background is another special place, the hotel where my daughter’s ...
August 29th, 201201:15 AM ETIn Part 1 I tried to show that you do not need to be terrified of unending torment for yourself or anyone else, because God does not inflict pointless suffering. Nevertheless, we do need to fear the wrath of God. He hates sin, because it violates His holiness and destroys the people He loves, so He will do whatever it takes to root out the sin...
August 20th, 201201:38 AM ET“You’re just giving false hope; UR is nothing more than wishful thinking.” This objection is often raised to the idea that God will ultimately redeem all people. The concern is that if people think they will end up in heaven no matter what, they won’t feel the need to make a commitment to Christ and live for Him now. Furthermore, Christians...
May 13th, 201209:05 AM ETPart 1 laid the groundwork for this series by identifying some biblical principles that have a bearing on our understanding of hell. Part 2 gave three pictures of what hell might be, each of which finds some support in Scripture. Here in Part 3 I attempt to put it all together to formulate an alternate view of “hellfire” that is more ...
March 17th, 201204:30 PM ETDo you believe in hell as a place of fire and brimstone? If so, where do you think it came from? Who created hell? When did it come into existence? Did God conceive and design and create hell? Did Satan have a hand in it? (It certainly sounds like an invention that he would be pleased with.) Did hell come into being at the time the rest of the univ...
About this blog
Challenging the Church to embrace God’s grand plan of reconciliation on every level—to be reconciled to God, to one another, and to ourselves
- Class Reunion Coming Up? Just Do It
- Elisabeth Elliot Joins the Great Cloud of Witnesses
- Why Aren't We Allowed to Believe What We Sing, Say, and Pray? Part 2
- Why Aren't We Allowed to Believe What We Sing, Say, and Pray? Part 1
- "What If Your Blessings Come Through Raindrops?"
- Should We Love Everybody? Part 2
- Should We Love Everybody? Part 1
- American evangelical Christianity Anne Fadiman Body of Christ Boston Marathon Boston Marathon bombing C. S. Lewis Christian behavior community Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed fruit of the Spirit God's providence Gospel of Mark greatness Hmong human wisdom intercultural relationships John Mark John S. Dickerson Kingdom values limo fire Paul philosophy The Great Divorce tongue West Texas fire words