Steve Reynolds is described as the "anti-fat pastor" and Get Off The Couch is his latest book. This is the introduction.
A Man’s A.C.T.I.O.N. Plan
Action! Every guy loves action and adventure. Action movies . . . fast car chases . . . war . . . sports . . . anything that will get our adrenaline pumping. We live for danger, risk and fun. As little boys, we dreamed of being super heroes, warriors, sports stars, fireman and police officers rushing into perilous situations to save the day. We were always looking for the next adventure.
Well, you are about to embark on a brand new one—an exciting journey. This adventure is your life. You may not feel like much of a conqueror these days. Your current physical condition may have you feeling defeated and lost. But things are about change. In this book, you are about to explore six actions that will make you victorious and keep you from being a victim. These six actions, found in the following A.C.T.I.O.N. acrostic, will enable you to launch your new adventure:
Aware: Be aware of the seriousness of your physical condition and understand that your body matters to God.
Commit: Commit to living a disciplined life and to winning over temptation.
Transform: Transform the way you think and the way you live.
Incorporate: Incorporate healthy eating habits and exercise into your daily life.
Organize: Organize a team of people to help you win.
Navigate: Create an A.C.T.I.O.N. plan for healthy living so you can navigate your way to leaving a lasting legacy.
The Parts of the Plan
The six sections in Get Off the Couch focus on each of these six action steps that you need to incorporate in your life in order to get off the couch and into shape. Each section/action has two chapters dedicated to introducing and explaining the principles you need to start applying to your life in order to win in the area of your health. Within each chapter, you will find the following:
• A key Bible verse at the beginning of each chapter to meditate on that will aid and reinforce the action step (these are listed in appendix E).
• A story from a guy just like you who has gotten off the couch and started to take action to change his life.
• A Man Up section that contains: (1) an Eat Up section that will give you great eating tips and suggestions, and (2) a Pump Up section that will give you suggestions for exercises you can use to get into shape.
• A Man Up/Check Up sidebar that will inform you on the risks of obesity and the benefits of getting healthy.1
• Reflection and discussion questions, which are designed to help you dig deeper into the principles and practices introduced within the chapter.
• My Personal Game Plan for Getting in Shape, which you can use to start tracking what specific steps you are going to take in implementing the actions from the chapter.
Each of these sections is vitally important and crucial in determining whether or not you will succeed in producing life change. I have also included a Progress Report in appendix A of this book that you can use to keep track of your progress through this journey, in addition to some other useful tools that will help you.
Used by permission. All rights to this material are reserved. Material is not to be reproduced, scanned, copied, or distributed in any printed or electronic form without written permission from Regal Books.