1) He was the second son of King David and Bathsheba.
2) Yedidia (“friend of God”) is the name that Nathan the prophet gave to King Solomon when he was born, as we read in 2 Samuel 12:24-25-
וַיְנַחֵם דָּוִד, אֵת בַּת-שֶׁבַע אִשְׁתּוֹ, וַיָּבֹא אֵלֶיהָ, וַיִּשְׁכַּב עִמָּהּ; וַתֵּלֶד בֵּן, ויקרא (וַתִּקְרָא) אֶת-שְׁמוֹ שְׁלֹמֹה, וַיהוָה, אֲהֵבוֹ.”
“ וַיִּשְׁלַח, בְּיַד נָתָן הַנָּבִיא, וַיִּקְרָא אֶת-שְׁמוֹ, יְדִידְיָהּ–בַּעֲבוּר, יְהוָה
“And David comforted Bath-sheba his wife, and went in unto her, and lay with her; and she bore a son, and called his name Solomon. And the LORD loved him. And He sent by the hand of Nathan the prophet, and he called his name Jedidiah, for the LORD’S sake”.
3) King Solomon was the Third king of Israel.
4) He built the First Temple in Jerusalem.
5) Solomon had 700 wives and 300 mistresses. Our sages claim that his marriage to Pharaoh’s daughter was the cause of the destruction of the Second Temple. He also had 3 children: Rehoboam, Bashemath and Tefat.
6) He was blessed by God with unique wisdom and was the wisest man that ever lived.
7) Solomon wrote 3 books of the Bible: The Song of Songs, the Book of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.
Our sages glorify king Solomon for his wisdom and great knowledge, but also mention that according to the law he committed 3 sins against God: he married foreign women, had many horses and owned lots of gold.
9) The length of Solomon’s reign in Jerusalem, over all Israel, was 40 years.
10) According to the Bible, Solomon died of natural causes at around 80 years of age.
Main phrases of the post + transcription + translation
Hebrew Transcription Translation
עֲשָׂרָה ‘ăśārāh Ten -male
עֶשֶׂר ‘eśer Ten- female
אֶלֶף ‘elep Thousand
חָכְמָה hokmāh Wisdom
קֹהֶלֶת qōhelet Ecclesiastes
אַרְבָּעִים ‘arbā’îm Forty
שְׁמוֹנִים šemônîm Eighty