A recent survey of the religious affiliations of students at Yale Law School in New Haven, Connecticut, shows that more students identified as atheist or agnostic than any other group, edging out those who identified with any Christian group by a nose. Atheists accounted for 20.1% of the Yale Law students, and another 13.7% identified as agnostic. This total of 33.8% just surpassed the number of students identified with any type of Christian-related group:

What is interesting is that Yale undergraduates describe themselves as much more religious than those in the law school, with a much smaller percentage of atheists and agnostics:

At the law school, a whooping 49% of the Yale Law students agreed that religion is “not too/not at all important” in their lives, compared with 16% of Americans who said so in a national poll. Only 26% of Yale Law students said religion is “very important” in their lives, compared to 56% of Americans nationally. Here is the graphic from that survey:

Yale has moved far from its Christian roots. Yale College was founded by ten Congregationalist ministers. In 1701, the General Court of Connecticut passed an act establishing the new college, stating that it was a place...

“wherein Youth may be instructed in the Arts & Sciences who through the blessing of Almighty God may be fitted for Publick employment both in Church & Civil State.”

David A. Lockmiller, Scholars on Parade: Colleges, Universities, Costumes and Degrees (New York: MacMilam, 1969), p. 70, quoted from this source).

Other Yale documents show the explicit Christian purposes of the school:

“Every student shall consider the main end of his study to wit to know God in Jesus Christ and answerably to lead a Godly, sober life.”

from Williams C. Ringenberg, The Christian College: A History of Protestant Higher Education in America (Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans, 1984), p. 38, taken from this source).

One observation I would make from this data:

Christians should consider applying to Yale Law School as students, and if qualified, apply to teach there as professors.

One other observation I would make:

 I encourage Christians to apply to attend Yale Law School as students and to apply there to work as faculty, too.

_____________________

Join the conversation at Facebook.com/SpeakUpU. Sound off below – Leave a comment!

This post originally appeared here.