Author: ADF Litigation Staff Counsel Travis C. Barham
The Supreme Court's recent decision in Christian Legal Society v. Martinez has, of course, caused a lot of people to spill a lot of ink (or in this era, clatter a lot of keys) over the past few days. And in the spirit of one-stop shopping, here are links to many of the articles discussing the decision, its meaning, its merits, and its consequences.
June 28, 2010.
- David French at Phi Beta Cons:CLS v. Martinez: My First Quick Take.
- David French at Academic Freedom File: Martinez Ruling: Ninth Circuit Affirmed, but with Remand.
- David French at Academic Freedom File: CLS v. Martinez: Roger Pilon Gets It Right.
- David French at Academic Freedom File: CLS v. Martinez: Further Thoughts.
- David French at Minding the Campus: CLS v. Martinez: A Curious and Mistaken Decision.
- Timothy Dalrymple interviewing David French at Patheos: "You Cannot be an Equal Participant in the Marketplace of Ideas."
- Citizen Link: Supreme Court Decision on Religious Freedom "Narrow and Troubling."
- Roger Pilon at Cato@Liberty: Undermining Freedom of Association.
- FIRE: In "CLS v. Martinez" Ruling, Sharply Divided Supreme Court Undermines Freedom of Association on Campus.
- Richard Epstein at Forbes Magazine: So Much for Religious Liberty.
- Bob Unruh at World Net Daily: Alito: Supremes Endorse "Viewpoint Discrimination."
- Michelle A. Vu at The Christian Post: Supreme Court: Christian Group Can't Bar Gays, Get School Funding.
- Mark Walsh at Education Week: Group Barring Gays Can Be Denied Recognition, High Court Says.
- Peter Schmidt at Chronicle of Higher Education: Supreme Court's Ruling on Law School's Anti-Bias Policy May Have Limited Impact.
- William Creely at The Torch: First Reactions to "CLS v. Martinez."
- Erica Goldberg at The Torch: Kennedy's Concurrence in "Martinez" Highlights Court's Misguided View on Role of Student Organizations.
- Adelle M. Banks at Beliefnet News: Supreme Court Rules against Christian Legal Group.
- Chuck Donovan at The Foundry: Martinez Ruling a "Serious Setback for Freedom of Expression."
- Roger Marus at Associated Baptist Press: Justices Say Christian Club Not Exempt from Non-Discrimination Policy.
- Angela Lu at World Magazine: Court Rules Against CLS.
June 29, 2010.
- David French at Townhall: Overstepping Their Boundaries: The Supreme Court Decides What's Best for Christians.
- Hadley Arkes at First Things: Vast Dangers-Confirmed.
- Adam Goldstein at Huffington Post: Supreme Court's CLS Decision Sucker-Punches First Amendment.
- Bill Bumpas & Jody Brown at One News Now: Christian Legal Society: It's Not Over Yet.
- Scott Jaschik at Inside Higher Ed: New Venue for Anti-Bias Debate.
- Ted Olsen & Trevor Persaud at Christianity Today: Christian Legal Society Loses in Supreme Court Case.
- Howard Friedman at Religion Clause: Advocacy Groups React to CLS v. Martinez.
- Kathleen Gilbert at Life Site News: Some Conservatives Slam, Others Downplay SCOTUS Ruling against Christian Groups.
- Charisma News Online: Prayer Leader: Supreme Court Decision May Signal Onset of Church Persecution.
- Tom Strode at Baptist Press: Court Ruling Threatens Christian College Groups.
- Kris Alingod at All Headline News: Supreme Court Sides with School Against Religious Exclusion.
- California Catholic Daily: "Serious Setback for Freedom of Expression."
June 30, 2010.
- David French at Human Events: Supreme Court Deals Blow to Liberty.
- Jordan Lorence at Washington Examiner: The CLS Case and the Mirage of "All Comers" Policy.
- Greg Baylor on Fox News: The CLS Ruling.
- Bob Ellis at Dakota Voice: Supreme Court Affirms Viewpoint Discrimination.
- The Observatorium: Homogenization.
- Staff at The Underground: Supreme Court Supports Hastings College of Law's Student Groups Policy.
- Peter Schmidt at Chronicle of Higher Education: Ruling Is Unlikely to End Litigation over Policies on Student Groups.
- Azhar Majeed at The Torch: Dispute Over Scope of Hastings Policy Underscores Narrowness of "Martinez" Decision.
- Megan Grizzle at The Torch: In "Martinez," Justice Ginsburg Disregards Serious Threat of Hostile Takeovers.
July 1, 2010.
- Casey Mattox on CBN News Video: CLS v. Martinez.
- Cal Thomas at Townhall: The Courts, the Clubs, and Discrimination.
- Mike S. Adams at Townhall: An Immodest Proposal.
- Erica Goldberg at The Torch: The "Subsidy" Is Not the Issue: The Incorrect Framing of "CLS v. Martinez."
- Peter Bonilla at The Torch: SPLC's Frank LoMonte Asks: How Might "CLS v. Martinez" Affect Student Press?
- John Leo at Minding the Campus: Long Before Hastings There Was Tufts.
- K.C. Johnson at Minding the Campus: What Now after CLS?
This post originally appeared here.