Post tagged with Church Governance
November 02nd, 201010:50 AM ETAuthor: Gary McCaleb - ADF Senior CounselPsalm 107:23-30 says: Those who go down to the sea in ships, who do business on great waters; they have seen the works of the LORD, and His wonders in the deep. Not a likely verse for a desert-dwelling attorney to favor. But for five years, thirty years ago, those words reported my reality. ...
October 05th, 201001:10 PM ETAuthor: ADF Senior Legal Counsel Joel Oster Two situations. In one, people were asked to attend a graduation ceremony in a comfortable church auditorium with air-conditioning and comfortable chairs. In the other, a person was tortured and killed for holding religious beliefs. Which one do you think represents the evil that our first ame...
October 04th, 201004:14 PM ETAuthor: ADF Senior Legal Counsel Erik Stanley The following opinion column appeared in The Tennessean on 10/2/10. The question of whether tax-exempt churches should be able to espouse political views from the pulpit is, in reality, the wrong question. The better question is whether the govern...
August 31st, 201010:21 AM ETAuthor: ADF Senior Counsel Kevin Theriot We often hear bad things about the cases handed down by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, which sits in various places on the west coast – primarily San Francisco. All too often, this Court’s opinions are contrary to religious freedom, and protecting the family and life. But a panel led by Judge...
July 21st, 201006:19 PM ETAuthor: ADF Senior Counsel Kevin TheriotEvery once in a while, a judge will write an opinion demonstrating the vital importance of religious freedom. The Honorable William C. Lee in the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Indiana did just that in a July 15, 2010 ruling where he rejected a former employee's r...
July 19th, 201001:47 PM ETAuthor: ADF Senior Legal Counsel Erik StanleyThe Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals issued a decision recently that demonstrates why churches should be updating their by-laws to protect against potential litigation that can threaten the constitutional right of the church to select its ministers free from government interference. Th...
June 02nd, 201012:25 PM ETAuthor: ADF Senior Counsel Kevin Theriot Recently a federal court in Maryland undermined the independence of religious organizations when it allowed a nurse's religious harassment claim against a Catholic institution to go forward. It was the first such decision of its kind. Villa St. Catherine's is a Catholic nursing center that t...
May 25th, 201005:47 PM ETAuthor: ADF Litigation Counsel Daniel BlombergWhile churches need not fear, hundreds of thousands of small non-profits groups nationwide, including para-church ministries, may find their tax-exempt status at stake come next year. That's because of an IRS deadline by which small charities had to file some required information-which came a...
May 18th, 201010:14 AM ETAuthor: ADF Legal Counsel Tim ChandlerRecently, the Roman Catholic Church has come under fire after two of its schools, one in Massachusetts and one in Colorado, declined to enroll students who have same-sex parents. Not surprisingly, these decisions created a firestorm of public criticism and outrage, raising questions about whether churches ...
About this blog
A blog about the fight to protect and preserve religious liberty, the sanctity of life, marriage, and the family.
- A Victory for Comfort and Common Sense
- U.S. Supreme Court to Hear Case Against Obamacare Abortion Pill Mandate
- Should Compelling you to Violate Your Deeply Held Religious Beliefs Really be "the Price of Citizenship"?
- Anti-Faith Humbugs Ensure 'Tis The Season To Be … Litigious
- The Case for Conscience: Conestoga and Hobby Lobby Accepted by the Supreme Court
- What's Love Got to Do With It?
- Federal Judge Strikes Down Minister's Housing Allowance — What's Next?
- ACLU American Culture American Exceptionalism Character Children's Rights Christmas Church and Politics Churches & Politics College & Universities Deconstructionism Eugenics European Union Judicial Branch Life Non-discrimination policies Planned Parenthod Preschoolers Public Colleges and Universities Public Colleges & Universities Public Invocations Public Schools &Universities Religious Fredom September 11 Sex Offenders Terrorism Universities