A monsoon has struck India causing widespread flooding, trapping thousands of people and leaving at least 160 people dead, according to the Christian Science Monitor. Officials expect the death totals to rise.
Dictionary.com defines a monsoon as "the seasonal wind of the Indian Ocean and southern Asia, blowing from the southwest in summer and from the northeast in winter."
A press release from the Ministry of Home Affairs reports that 33,192 Hindu pilgrims have been rescued from the flooding and "50,422 pilgrims are still stranded."
- Pray that everyone still trapped by the flooding will be rescued.
- Pray for the safety of rescue personnel as they work in risky conditions.
- Pray for God to comfort the families and friends of the deceased.
- Pray for Christian disaster relief personnel and churches to have opportunities to meet the needs of the flooding victims.
- Pray for housing for the homeless.
- Pray for government officials to have wisdom in making decisions regarding the flooding victims.
- Pray that God would be glorified in the midst of this tragedy.
- In India, floods strand thousands in rapidly-developed hills - Christian Science Monitor
- India grapples with 'Himalayan tsunami' that has left 150 dead - CNN
- Press Release - Ministry of Home Affairs