Adam Lanza entered Sandy Hook Elementary School today and shot at least 26 people before committing suicide, according to media reports. Twenty students and six adults were killed. Among the deceased adults are Nancy Lanza, Adam's mother, and school principal Dawn Hochsprung.
The number of dead could increase even more as police investigate outside the school. ABC News has reported, "A dead body has also been found in his parents’ home" but has not been idenfied. According to the Associated Press, "Lanza's girlfriend and another friend are missing in New Jersey."
Already news reports are focusing on why the murders happened. ABC News has reported, "Neighbors described Adam Lanza to ABC as 'odd' and displaying characteristics associated with mental illness."
Newtown United Methodist Church has opened its doors to the community after the shooting. The church's Facebook page reports:
The doors of the sanctuary are open to all who need a place to pray during this time of trouble. Our thoughts and prayers are with all those who are being impacted by the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting today.
- Pray for emotional healing for the families and friends of the people killed in this massacre.
- Pray for the victims familes to get the emotional, spiritual and financial support they will need to rebuild their lives.
- Pray for school officials as they appoint a new principal and possibly other school personnel.
- Pray that the missing persons will be found safe.
- Pray that no one will imitate Lanza's actions and attempt copycat killings.
- Pray for people with mental illness to be healed or to be able to cope with their illness.