Many people with whom I have discussed reasons for Christian belief have shown interest in further investigation. Today’s blog offers a way. The resources here provide a cumulative case for belief in God who came to rescue us in the person of Jesus. My blog usually focuses on scientific evidence, but today I will point you to resources that offer a broad array of evidence both from science and other academic disciplines.
The best place to find free podcasts and video links covering all disciplines is at Brian Auten's website: http://www.apologetics315.com. Apologetics refers to "defending" the faith with evidence-based arguments. Brian's Aplogetics315 website is name after I Peter 3:15, which gives one of the biblical injunctions to learn about the good reasons for your Christian faith. This verse reads: "But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect."
To get started, read Did Physics Kill God? if you are inclined to think that physicists have proven God's non-existence. Then watch Journey Inside The Cell to see what looks intelligently designed. The coordinated complexity of these tiny mechanisms in each living cell exceeds anything humans have designed.
Intelligent design theory is not religious, but it has religious implications (as do all origin theories in science). When the scientific case for intelligent design is combined with historical, philosophical, and theological investigation, an impressive cumulative case for Christianity emerges. Few people explain this better than Steve Meyer in TrueU DVD sets: #1. Does God Exist? and #2. Is the Bible Reliable? Dr. William Lane Craig also covers these topics well. I've listed some free resources by Meyer and Craig. Because much of this is difficult reading, many may wish to skip down to the more accessible Lee Strobel DVDs/books below.
- Stephen C. Meyer, “DNA and Other Designs,” First Things (April 2000). Dr. Meyer explains this even more clearly on the TrueU DVD set #1.
- William Lane Craig, “Existence and Nature of God: A series of popular articles, featuring defenses of various arguments for God’s existence.” Requires free login.
I've listed below some books and DVDs of great value to your investigation of the God question. If someone else directed you to this blog, you might ask him or her to loan you these items.
- Lee Strobel's book The Case for a Creator: A Journalist Investigates Scientific Evidence That Points toward God provides an introductory overview of the implications of science for the theism vs. atheism debate. Also watch Strobel’s The Case for a Creator documentary DVD.
- Then watch the other two Strobel DVDs in his popular trilogy: The Case for Christ and The Case for Faith. You may purchase all three DVDs (and the companion books by the same titles) at www.go2rpi.com (click on the "Lee Strobel" left-hand button at that website. You may also order the three Strobel DVDs from www.netflix.com (search for "Lee Strobel").
- William Lane Craig's book Reasonable Faith is a more difficult read than Strobel’s popular level books and DVDs, but you may be ready to dig deeper. Craig offers a complete survey of all the main reasons for Christian faith in one volume.
- William Lane Craig vs. Christopher Hitchens: “Does God Exist?” A Debate held at Biola University (2009). Order the DVD. At the end of this debate Dr. Craig invites the well-known atheist Mr. Hitchens to become a follower of Jesus Christ.
If you want guidance on how to accept Jesus Christ as your savior from sin (the evil inside you), I urge you to watch Peace with God http://peacewithgod.jesus.net (Billy Graham Multimedia Presentation) and read How to Become A Christian http://www.sbc.net/knowjesus/theplan.asp. Finally, please contact the follower of Christ who directed you to this blog.
If you are still hung up on scientific issues that seem to be at odds with God's existence, then study these items below (the DVDs and books below may all be ordered from www.go2rpi.com).
- Metamorphosis: The Beauty & Design of Butterflies (Illustra, 2011) is a stunning new film that even children can understand!
- The Privileged Planet (Illustra, 2004) presents cosmological intelligent design theory. See also the book by this title.
- Unlocking the Mystery of Life (Illustra, 2002) surveys biological intelligent design theory.
- Icons of Evolution (ColdWater, 2002) critiques Darwinism. See also the book by this title.
If you are a scientist, you may be interested to know that Discovery Institute maintains an annotated list of peer-reviewed publications that support intelligent design. Critics of intelligent design often claim that design advocates don’t publish their work in peer-reviewed scientific journals, as if such journals represented the only avenue of legitimate scientific publication. Some of the most important and groundbreaking work in the history of science was first published not in scientific journal articles but in scientific books, including Darwin’s Origin of Species. In any case, the scientists who advocate the theory of intelligent design have published their work in a variety of appropriate technical venues, including peer-reviewed scientific journals, peer-reviewed scientific books (some in mainstream university presses), trade presses, peer-edited scientific anthologies, peer-edited scientific conference proceedings and peer-reviewed philosophy of science journals and books. The peer-reviewed publications identified on Discovery Institute’s list are not religious; they do not argue for God’s existence. Even so, the scientific inference to intelligent design has religious implications (as do materialistic theories such as Darwinism). To explore fully the relationship between the scientific evidence for design and the God hypothesis requires venturing into fields outside of the natural sciences, such as philosophy, history, and theology.