Tech, Entertainment. Life News
2/26/16 at 04:56 AM 0 Comments

5 Simple Yet Effective Ways To Boost Your Computer Security

text size A A A

It is rather difficult, if not impossible, to think about computer security without feeling some sort of anxiety. After all, it is an expense that some of us invest heavily in and yet still fall victim to cybercrimes. If large corporations such as Target and Citibank who spend millions every year on internet security can be hacked, then why should we believe that we stand any sort of chance at all against malicious cyber attackers?

The fact of the matter is that there is much that you can do, either as a small business owner or an individual, to protect your computer without a large financial outlay. The most important thing to remember when looking to boost your computer's security ring is that antivirus software does not protect against everything. It is a common misconception among consumers that basic antivirus software will effectively protect their computers from all sorts of malicious activity – this is far from the truth. It is estimated that basic antivirus software programs may be able to detect up to 20 percent of attacks on our computers – 20 percent. That is all. What about the other 80 percent? For this reason, we cannot put all of our eggs in one basket (so to speak) when it comes to protecting our precious PC’s. We must take care not to rely solely on antivirus software for the full protection of our entire system. Try these 5 simple, yet effective, tips instead to further protect your computer by enhancing its security ring.

Keep Up to Date with Updates
Staying on top of your PC updates as they become available to you is one of the simplest and effective ways to enhance your computer's protection. True that you might not always need the latest version of some programs, but most updates contain crucial security-related fixes that contain critical software necessary in keeping your PC protected. Windows and other operating systems send out updates and patches for a reason. Though they may seem to come quite frequently, that is because as they discover loopholes and backdoor's that could potentially be used maliciously, they immediately send out fixes.

Utilize Ad-blockers
Though a lot of the advertisements that you will come across on the web are safe, there are many that are not. Cyber criminals tend to purchase ads to use for themselves in a malicious manner. Some ads are disguised with “malvertisments” that will lure the user into clicking on the ad. Once the ad has been clicked on the harmful effects may be triggered automatically. When you use ad-blocking extensions you are able to negate most of the risk that come along with malvertising.

Should I Remove It
Should I Remove It is an online tool that offers advice as to which programs that are installed on your PC should be removed. Running this tool allows you to effectively and efficiently sift through the massive amounts of bloatware that PC manufactures now preinstall. Additionally, you can also opt to keep Should I Run It running in an effort to allow it to keep an eye out for toolbars, apps and other unwanted programs that may try and sneak in. Running this tool should be a first step when taking a new computer out of the box.

Adjust Adobe Flash Settings
Adobe Flash Player is arguably one of the most exploitable pieces of software on the market. However, despite the dangers that come along with having it installed on our computers, the majority of us leave it in place. Uninstalling the Flash Player is the best way to protect your computer from the vulnerabilities that are attached to the program. If you are not keen on uninstalling the program though, you can also adjust the settings to prevent the player from automatically running online content.

Install Antivirus
It is imperative to the health of your computer system that you keep your PC safeguarded from potentially harmful elements by installing a high-quality anti-virus software program. Adding extra security helps to provide cloud antivirus protection against malware, which is becoming an increasing global problem for PC systems. The program that you choose to install should have pop-up blockers, a spam blocker, anti-malware and also anti-spyware. However, you do not want to stop there. Protecting your cloud based systems with antivirus/antimalware software is essential, as is adjusting settings on programs such as Adobe Flash Player. Not only that, but deleting programs that you do not need and staying up to date on patches and updates are all essential in boosting your computers security efforts.

If you have further advice on how to increase computer security for business and personal computers please share. We would love to hear your suggestions!

CP Blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of The Christian Post. Opinions expressed are solely those of the author(s).