Atheist Christopher Hitchens, author of God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, died this week.
Hitchens was know for the statement:
What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof.
- Free Inquiry magazine - February/March 2004
I will remember Hitchens for his debate performances which can be watched on YouTube.
On September 9, 2008, Hitchens debated Christian apologist Frank Turek at Virginia Commonwealth University on the topic "Does God Exist?" Turek describes eight issues which he believes are best answered by a theistic cause.
- How the universe arise from nothing
- How extreme fine-tuning and design arose from chaos
- How life arose from non-life
- How morality arose from materials
- How reason and the laws of logic arose from matter and how mind arose from mud
- How mathematics arose from molecules
- How human freedom arose from blind repetitive forces
- How consciousness arose from chemicals
Hitchens placed his faith in naturalism and himself. According to Agnostic mathematician David Berlinski, "Christopher Hitchens found objectionable the very idea of a source of authority, and so of power, greater than his own."