There is a debate in America over whether or not Mormons are Christians. Gordon B. Hinckley, former president of the Mormon Church, spoke on this topic:
"We are Christians in a very real sense and that is coming to be more and more widely recognized. Once upon a time people everywhere said we are not Christians. They have come to recognize that we are, and that we have a very vital and dynamic religion based on the teachings of Jesus Christ"
Christianity and Judaism hold the position that there is only one God. Here are several Bible verses that teach the belief in one God:
- "Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel and his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: “I am the first and I am the last; besides me there is no god." - Isaiah 44:6
- "For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,who gave himself as a ransom for all, which is the testimony given at the proper time." - 1 Timothy 2:5-6
- "You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder!" - James 2:19
Meanwhile, Mormons believe there are many Gods. The concept of many Gods is found in The Book of Abraham which is part of Joseph Smith's book the Pearl of Great Price. Chapter 4 includes the Mormon account of creation. The first verse says, "And then the Lord said: Let us go down. And they went down at the beginning, and they, that is the Gods, organized and formed the heavens and the earth."
The word Gods appears more than 30 times in this creation account. For another example, check out verse 27: "So the Gods went down to organize man in their own image, in the image of the Gods to form they him, male and female to form they them.
- Book of Abraham - Wikipedia
- Pearl of Great Price (Mormonism) - Wikipedia
- Bible Verses About One God - King James Bible Online
- The Book of Abraham - Chapter 4