Politics and U.S. Current Events

CP Blogs do not necessarily reflect the views of The Christian Post. Opinions expressed are solely those of the author(s).

Posted 8/28/15 at 9:09 PM | Michael Bresciani

Five Negative Articles – Is there Life after Trump?

Since long titles wreak havoc with publishers I abandoned my first choice for this piece. See if you like it – sing along with me!

Five negative articles, four calling birds, three French hens, too many candidates - and a Donald in a pear tree

Recently a blogger asked me why I wrote five fairly negative articles about Donald Trump. I corrected him by saying I wrote five articles, but one was positive and one simply included Trump, but he was not the subject of the piece.

I rather like the Donald, but I have serious doubts about his ability to be president. He could win, but will America win?

I loved the story about how he let a family use his private jet to transport a very sick child to the hospital even while none of the major airlines was willing to help.

Today I heard him describe what he would do for veterans. I heard about his faith and his connection to the Presbyterian Church.

He said the evangelicals love him, but that’s the same 60 million who stayed home or voted for Barack in 2012. It is the same group that is sliding into wholesale apostasy faster than the speed of betrayal. Main line historic denominations are practically unrecognizable and have slid off their foundations under the influence of liberalism for an entire generation. Not much to brag about here. FULL POST

Posted 8/27/15 at 6:37 PM | Candice Lanier

Killed in Airstrike: Top ISIS Hacker On Pentagon Hit List Who Threatened Attacks on US Military

Ghost Security

Twenty-one year old Junaid Hussain, the notorious ISIS hacker from Birmingham, UK who masterminded the terrorist group’s online war, was killed in a US drone strike earlier this week. Hussain is also linked to the Garland, Texas, draw Mohammed attack. Number three on a Pentagon kill-list, only Jihadi John and ISIS leader al-Baghdadi are higher value targets.

Hussain, who also operated under the alias Abu Hussain al-Britani, did some time for stealing personal information on Tony Blair. Together with his wife, a former punk rocker, they were dubbed ‘Mr & Mrs Terror’. Mrs. Terror, Sally Jones, is 45, a convert to Islam and a mother with a young son. Eventually, she moved to Syria with her child and now leads a violent all-female ISIS brigade. FULL POST

Posted 8/27/15 at 3:19 PM | Mark Ellis

Three American heroes on train are strong Christians

Anthony Sadler, left, Alek Skarlatos, right, and Spencer Stone, second from left, pose with Jane D. Hartley, U.S. Ambassador to France

By Mark Ellis

The families of the three Americans who foiled a terror attack on a Paris-bound train Friday said their heroism was directly related to their sturdy Christian faith.

“They’re all Christians, they’re all very religious.” Peter Skarlatos, the brother of Alek Skarlato told the Sacramento Bee.

On August 21st, Airman First Class Spencer Stone, Oregon National Guard member Alek Skarlatos and college student Anthony Sadler were en route from Brussels to Paris on a high-speed train.

Sadler is the son of a Baptist pastor in Sacramento, California. All three young men were childhood friends who attended California’s Freedom Christian School together and regularly played military games in their youth, according to the Gospel Herald.

Terror suspect Ayoub El Khazzani came aboard the train armed with a Kalashnikov assault rifle, a Luger automatic pistol, a box-cutter, and multiple rounds of ammunition. FULL POST

Posted 8/26/15 at 6:43 PM | Sunny Shell

Virginia Shooting: A Christian's Response

Earlier today at 6:45 a.m., a horrifyingly sinful act was witnessed when three innocent people were gunned down in Moneta, Virginia during a live WDBJ-TV interview: a reporter (Alison Parker, 24), a cameraman (Adam Ward, 27), and a woman being interviewed (Vicki Gardner). It is heartbreaking that both Alison and Adam were killed, but I'm grateful to the Lord that Vicki has already undergone surgery and is in stable condition.

Though I'm aware of the evil in this world, I was still stunned by this act of violence by Bryce Williams (legal name: Vester Lee Flanagan) who was a reporter and co-worker of both Alison and Adam as at WDBJ. Two hours after the shooting, Williams faxed a 23-page manifesto to ABC News. In this manifesto, Williams claims that he was racially discriminated against and harassed by black men and white women because he was a homosexual black man. Williams also states that he's "been a human powder keg for a while…just waiting to go BOOM!!" and that the church shooting in Charleston was the final spark that ignited his bustling fuse. Sadly, he also states what many who are lost in their sins say—that God told him to do it. But those of us who truly know God, know this is not true. And my heart grieves for others who, like Bryce Williams, are completely deceived by their own sin nature. FULL POST

Posted 8/24/15 at 7:25 PM | Karen Kramer

Stock Market Doomsday

Forbes

Black Monday August 24, 2015 will be remembered as the biggest loss since the precipitous fall in October 2008. And the fall could be even more grievous with a stock market that’s been pumped full of cash at the hands of government stimulus, quantitative easing, and Fed treasury buy-back policies.

Plus, with the interconnectedness with our greatest lender—China, we are going down right alongside their stock market. With record-high stock prices, there is plenty of room to go down. And back up and back down. Better buckle up.

As we watch the stock ticker on this fiscal roller coaster, we wonder if the government mandated bank policies will be able to prevent financial collapse and bank runs. It’s supposed to be foolproof, right? We’ll find out. The Federal Reserve has already used up the biggest guns in their arsenal. We are in uncharted fiscal territory.

The financial talking heads are encouraging people to check up on their 401K’s and see if there is a 10% stopgap in place to prevent potential catastrophic losses. Having some cash on hand wouldn’t be a bad thing if America becomes Greece—where the people were restricted from withdrawing funds until things stabilized. And when the banks re-opened patrons were given limited funds. So visit your ATM. FULL POST

Posted 8/24/15 at 10:55 AM | Carrie Stoelting

American Heroes, John Wayne, and You

By Stacie and Carrie Stoelting
www.unitetheusa.org

"Sure, I wave the American flag. Do you know a better flag to wave? Sure, I love my country with all her faults. I'm not ashamed of that, never have been, never will be." -John Wayne

God sometimes uses small towns as settings for big stories. In Iowa, this has happened time and again: In 1940, Iowa's own Glenn McDole enlisted in the U.S. Marine Corps and bravely served in WWII. On August 12, 1942, he entered the Palawan prison camp in the Philippines. Two long years later on December 14, 1944, Japanese soldiers slaughtered about 93% of American POWs. The Japanese lied. They announced false air raids to move prisoners into underground shelters. Then, they mercilessly poured gasoline on top of them and used dynamite and machine guns to murder the POWs. Our brave soldiers were slain by evil, blood-thirsty hands. They died a hellish death for our freedom. Yet McDole escaped.

Amazingly, Glenn McDole was one of eleven young men who escaped. He was the last man out of the Palawan Prison Camp 10A. McDole and the ten other survivors dug into refuse piles, hid in coral caves, and slogged through jungle and swamps to safety. The horrifying conditions suffered by McDole and his comrades were endured for America's freedom - our freedom. FULL POST

Posted 8/24/15 at 7:08 AM | Michael Bresciani

“Make America Great Again” – A Promise Donald Trump Cannot Keep

“The road to hell is paved with good intentions” – Anon.

After entering Ladd-Peebles Stadium in Mobile, Alabama Friday August 21, 2015 what followed were a personal pronoun fest and the now familiar story of the conversion of a government building to a plush hotel. Trump used the pronouns I, me, and my, about 300 times (give or take) but nothing much new was offered or any different than previous speeches.

After bashing China, Mexico, democrats and a good number of republicans the rest of the speech took on the nature of a road to riches rally led by a financial guru who verily promises that everyone will emerge rich and prosperous if they only follow the plan – and the leader.

The crowd cheered to the promise of a mighty revival of military might and the oft repeated campaign slogan and promise to - “Make America Great Again.”

It is here that I am forced to start with a paragraph from my last article; it is a statement that undoubtedly I will have to make for the next year and a half until the election period is finished FULL POST

Posted 8/21/15 at 6:01 PM | Todd Friel

Duggar Disaster II: This time, the world is right

The first Duggar disaster was a lesson in Gospel-ignorance. Neither the world nor the church seemed to understand that a young perv could repent, trust Jesus and have his sins forgiven; even the sin of sexual assault. The world thought Josh was just another Christian hypocrite because he committed heinous sins prior to conversion. They were wrong. That time.

This time, the world is right. By his own admission, Josh is a first-class phony. His hypocrisy has been revealed in a Technicolor explosion. The first Josh Duggar disaster involved the sin of someone who made no pretense or profession of faith. The second disaster is a completely different story; these sins were committed by a professing believer.

That, unfortunately, invites unbelievers to doubt the Gospel. Does faith in Christ really result in a changed heart and life?

Christianity confirms two realities; the reality of justification and the reality of sanctification. If justification is a reality in someone’s life, then the second reality, sanctification, will also be present. It appears that the second reality does not exist in Josh’s life, which leads us to raise legitimate concerns that the first reality doesn’t exist either. FULL POST

Posted 8/21/15 at 10:23 AM | Veronica Philips

When GOD Lets Go, and Lets YOU!

There’s a chill in the air as I turn on the heater, and observe that in my crab tank, it’s a chilly 60 degrees; which could hurt them. I must remember to cover the tank tonight, assuming they’re still alive in there; which…I hope they are. I look out my bay window so see the sun rising, creating shadows over the corn fields, and I smile as I realize that Fall is upon us….WAIT! It’s August 21 and it shouldn’t be 60, it SHOULD be 90…..The world is going NUTS. Now we have yet another Revelation that Duggar had extra-martial affairs (plural) and while this really should be a family crises, with healing, forgiveness, and repentance, it strikes me that he does kinda deserve this….go ahead, shade me, but you KNOW I’m right.
When all is said and done, and we stand in that three-ring circus awaiting our trial, the Lord is not going to look at the Duggar family and say, “Hold on. Lets see what Ronnie thinks”, so my opinion, pro or con, isn’t going to matter. With that said, Jim Bob and Michelle KNEW their son was struggling with sexual sin, and did nothing while he continued on his path of self-destruction. Thanks to their inability, (or is it unwillingness) to see the path he was on, he’s taken his innocent family hostage as well. Sins of the flesh, Lust, have their place among the 7 Deadlies because they're a plague. I’m not even considering that he’s a Christian at this point, although the world is taking great pleasure in mocking THAT little ditty, nay, I’m upset because his wife, the mother of his three children, didn’t deserve international humiliation, and I stand with her. His revelation that he’s a hypocrite came from being caught, not being sorry, and it shows me that he still doesn’t get the bondage he’s in….Hmm, I feel a sin coming on.
I think it’s important to remember that no matter what freak show is playing out in front of us, God is somewhere in the middle, and we….yes that’s you and me, cannot cause pain where pain already exists. I know that this is a family in crises, and I can only hope the crises is focused on his sin, and not the damage control that I’m sure is ensuing right now. I am going to try really, really, REALLY hard, to sit back and let the Lord do his job, because right now, that family is a mess. This wasn’t unexpected you know, “And he gave them over to their desires”, a little piece of Scripture in Romans, which I can paraphrase as, "When God lets go and lets YOU". It's what happens when we fail to address our sins, and God lets us DEAL with it. Addiction in any form, is devastating, sexual sin, is personal…..sigh…I wonder how many strongholds have to come down with that one? Gotta go. I’ve judged enough. I pray that this man receives the REAL counseling he deserves, and I pray that his wife and children are spared the greater part of the fire that’s still to come….As far as Jim Bob and Michelle go……well…..I can’t print, then post what I’m thinking now. Mayhap it should suffice for me to write, May God Be with Them….Each of Them. Be Blessed. Remember you set the Tone, you ARE the Example. BE KIND to each other. Show GRACE and MERCY to all those who cross your path today. With your Daily Affirmations complete, enjoy your Friday.

Posted 8/19/15 at 5:06 PM | Mark Ellis

Eleventh hour Iran deal shocker: Side agreement allows Iran to inspect their own nuclear site

According to a secret side agreement seen by The Associated Press, Iran will be allowed to inspect and report on one of their key nuclear sites themselves, bypassing the U.N. agency everyone thought would be conducting the oversight.

This new, previously undisclosed detail will certainly embolden critics of the deal signed by the U.S., Iran and five world powers in July. Those critics have complained that Iran cannot be trusted, while supporters maintain there are strong verification safeguards built into the agreement.

The site in question is located at the Parchin Military Complex, located 19 miles south of Tehran. Iran has refused access to Parchin for years and has denied any work on nuclear weapons at that location, according to Fox News.

By Mark Ellis

But U.S. and Israeli intelligence has led to suspicions that Iran may have experimented with high-explosive detonators for nuclear weapons there.

The Parchin deal is a separate, side agreement worked out between the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and Iran. The U.S. and the five other nations that signed the Iran nuclear deal were not part of this agreement but were briefed on it by the IAEA and endorsed it as part of the larger package, according to Fox. FULL POST